As you prepare for your trip on the Salmon River, we are here to help the process go as smoothly as possible. Years of experience leading guests on the river have prepared our team to help answer all your questions about raft trip planning.
“Thanks for the great float, food and fun. Best of all great family memories. You all did an excellent job.”
– Bev Young, Missoula, MT
After you have confirmed your space on a Salmon River trip, consider the following:
- We highly recommend you purchase trip insurance.
- Make lodging reservations in McCall for the night(s) prior to the trip. We will be doing our pre-trip meeting at 7pm the night before your trip starts at the Best Western Plus McCall Lodge & Suites in McCall. We will meet in the lobby for that meeting. If you book a room with them by calling and noting you are a Confluences guest, they will offer you a 10% discount on your reservation. You can reach them at (208) 634-2230. However, there are several options available in McCall and you are welcome to make your reservations at any of them.
- Make lodging reservations in McCall or Boise for the evening(s) after the trip, as needed.
- Make your local air charter flight reservations as needed. Most of our guests fly in and out of Boise, Idaho (BOI) and need charter flights both before and after their raft trip. Some of our guests drive to McCall and only need the flight we will reserve from McCall to Salmon. When you contact an air charter company, be sure to tell them that you are a Confluences River Expeditions raft trip guest. A few options are: McCall Aviation: (208) 634-7137; Sawtooth Flying Service: (208) 342-7888; or Gem Air: (208) 756-7382; email@example.com
- If you plan on fishing during the trip, purchase an Idaho fishing license here. Or call Idaho Fish and Game at 1-800-554-8685, and use your credit card. They will ask you for specific dates you want to fish, so have them handy before you call. For summer rafting trips, we recommend that you purchase a license for the middle 3 days of your trip. Allow four weeks to receive your license.
- Check this Gear List when packing. Consider printing one gear list page for each participant, and fulfill the list for each person.
- Arrive in McCall by 7pm the night before your trip begins for the pre-trip orientation meeting.
- Bring cash for incidentals. Many guests enjoy buying an ice cream at Buckskin Bills. Additionally, it is easiest to provide gratuities for guides in cash at the end of the trip.
- Consider a plan for “extra beverages.” We provide wine with dinner and about two canned beverages (beer and soda) per person per day. You can purchase extra beverages, wine or liquor, at the North Fork Store (we stop here during the morning bus ride to the launch point).
Please do not hesitate to shoot us an email with any questions about raft trip planning! firstname.lastname@example.org